The homemade mac n cheese with Velveeta is the ultimate recipe for family that’s super creamy and easy to make. This comfort food can be made from scratch, with cheese and baked macaroni, making it’s the timeless classic. The recipe checks all the boxes required for delicious meal that’s even easy for beginner. The dish will always have a special place at simple dinner tables or huge get-togethers. It is also ideal to use as the main course or as a side dish to other servings.
Even though Velveeta is technically not a cheese – a fact that you may haven’t heard before, but it makes a really good ingredients for savory and creamy plate of mac and cheese. Besides, the Velveeta makes other types of cheese fall pale in comparison because there is no possibility of accidentally making your homemade mac n cheese with Velveeta meal too grainy or seized. This simple recipe of baked macaroni & cheese with Velveeta below uses basic ingredients, but there is still room for creativity if you want to add some twist to the taste and texture.
- 2 cups or 16 oz elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 8 oz. Velveeta
- 1 cup cheddar cheese for topping, shredded (optional)
- 2 cups milk
- Dashes of salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
- Prepare the baking part by preheating the oven to 350°F and spraying cooking spray to the casserole dish.
- Cook the macaroni for about 1 minute only, drain and set it aside.
- Melt butter on saucepan in medium heat. Once it is melted, pour flour and seasonings to the saucepan. Whisk them in. Mix for about a minute until it bubbles.
- Add milk into the mix and whisk it until the mixture boiled up. Wait and cook until couple of minutes until the mix is visibly thickened.
- Lower the heat and add shredded cheese gradually. Stir until the mix is smoothen out and the cheese is melted (about 5 minutes in).
- Pour the mix of macaroni and cheese into the casserole dish you’ve prepared before.
- Layer the top with cheddar cheese if you’d like.
- Bake for about half an hour until the dish is bubbly inside the oven or until the cheese on the top is melted.
The homemade mac n cheese with Velveeta recipe above only takes about 40 minutes to create. It will serve about 6 people at once.