Recipe for shepherd’s pie with ground beef and corn is American crush. Coming from England to United States, American prefer to eat shepherd’s pie with ground beef. Although the name is shepherd’s pie, the beef is the main ingredients used here instead of lamb. This kind of pie is a casserole in particular in which it is topped with mashed potatoes. In addition, there will be a layer containing veggies and cooked meat. To help you out making this pie, here is the recipe.
- 1 ½ lbs of ground beef
- 1-2 cups of veggies, diced (corn, carrots, and peas)
- 1 ½ – 2 pounds of peeled and quartered potatoes
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup of beef broth
- 8 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- Other additional seasonings based on your preference
- Let’s begin making the shepherd’s pie with beef by boiling the peeled and quartered potatoes. Bring a medium pot. Place them in it and pour cold water for about an inch. Add a tsp of salt and boil them. Cook until they are tender for about 20 minutes.
- Sauté the veggies. Firstly, melt the butter in a large pan, 4 tbsp of it. Chop the onions and add it into the pan and cook them altogether until tender. Add the carrots as well with the onions since it takes time to cook. Peas and corn can be added in the end of the cooking. They do not take a long time to cook. It needs 6-10 minutes in total.
- In this recipe for shepherd’s pie with ground beef and corn, now add the ground beef into the pan. Add salt and pepper and cook it until brown.
- Add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. In 10 minutes, cook uncovered. Do not let the meat drying out. Therefore you can add more broth.
- Mash the cooked potatoes with a potato masher or simply a fork. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a casserole dish. Spread the beef and veggies first. Later on, spread the mashed potatoes covering the first layer. Bake them for about 30 minutes. It is ready to serve.
If you want to add the taste of corn, you may add creamed corn between the first and second layer. Adding cheese on top of the layer can be done as well. It will enrich the taste of this recipe for shepherd’s pie with ground beef and corn.