Many people say the cast iron Dutch oven recipes are their kitchen savior for its simplicity. You don’t need complicated cooking techniques to serve perfect dishes with this tool. No fancy techniques needed but the result is outstanding and finger licking good.
A Dutch oven itself is a large pot which can be used both for stovetop and oven cooking as long as it has a safe oven safe lid. The pot is really worth your investment. There are bunch of healthy Dutch oven recipe you can find on the internet.
However, of all recipes on the internet, the most recommended one is the Dutch oven beef recipe. If you never ever try to cook beef short ribs before, it is your perfect time. This kind of simple cast iron Dutch oven recipes is easy to follow.
- 8 pieces of beef short ribs
- Pepper and salt as the flavor, better use kosher salt
- 2 ounces flour
- 6 slices of Pancetta, dice it well
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, dice it small
- 3 carrots, cut into small sticks
- 2 peeled shallots, dice it carefully
- 2 cups of red wine, but you can use white wine too
- Ground black pepper
- Beef broth, make sure it can cover all ribs
- Prepare the ribs and make sure they are in prime condition. Season them with pepper and salt.
- Dredge the ribs into flour. Make sure all sides are covered with enough flour. Set aside.
- Fry the pancetta using the olive oil in the Dutch oven. Keep the fire on medium level until the fat is rendered and the pancetta gets crispy. Set aside the pancetta and let the grease stay on the pan.
- Set the heat into high level then pour olive oil and brown all sides of the ribs. Each side requires about 45 second. When all ribs done, turn down the heat into medium.
- Cook the shallots, onion, and carrot for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in wine and let it boil.
- Pour in the broth then add ground black pepper and one table spoon of kosher salt. Add more salt if you wish.
- Add the ribs into mixture along with the whole thyme and rosemary.
- Cover the pot with its lid and put in on the oven. Set oven for 2 hours cooking at 350. After two hours, set the heat into 325 and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the pan from oven and let it rests for about 25 minutes.
- Well, the ribs are ready. You can serve two ribs on a bowl and pour the broth for more creaminess.
There you go! A perfect and simple broiled beef ribs using cast iron Dutch oven recipes. This is a true delicacy for a bright breakfast.
You can modify this recipe to suit your favor, for example like adding mashed potatoes as a bed for the ribs. After all, you can’t get wrong with any of cast iron Dutch oven recipes provided on the internet.