Running out of cooking ideas is normal, but if you want something diverse you can start making a Banh Flan recipe. A Banh Flan is a Vietnamese cuisine commonly known by the name Vietnamese Custard. Other known names are Kem Caramel in Northern Vietnam, Caramen, Banh Caramel, and Kem Flan in Southern Vietnam. It is a traditional food from the country and can be a healthy option to those wanting to eat a nutritious dessert. This dessert is known to be easy to make and can round-out meals. Other similar recipes might be Chocolate Flan Cake and Thach Ca Phe (Coffee and Cream Agar Dessert). Specifically in Vietnam, a Banh Flan could include black coffee poured on top of it.
Ingredients needed for this customized, healthier Banh Flan recipe is divided into ingredients for the caramel and the custard. This tweaked recipe will eliminate the fat of a condensed milk, substituting 2% of milk, and reducing the amount of sugar. Through that, the calories produced by the dessert will be significantly minimalized. Simply put, this recipe will result in a low fat Banh Flan.
For the Caramel
- ¾ cup of sugar
For the Custard
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 5 eggs, medium-sized
- 3 cups of 2% reduced fat milk
Banh Flan recipe preparation directions will also be divided respectively for the custard and caramel each. Here are the steps:
For the Caramel:
- Prepare a small saucepan
- Set to medium heat and heat the sugar
- Have the sugar dissolved, stir each minute until the color turns golden brown (around 5 minutes)
- Spoon caramel into cups, make sure it cover the cups’ bottoms
- Even the amount of caramel
- Have the oven preheated to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
For the Custard:
- Prepare a medium bowl for eggs
- Beat eggs lightly in the bowl
- Have a large bowl prepared, combine sugar, vanilla, and milk into it
- Whisk them together until sugar dissolves
- Add eggs into the mixture and whisk them together (be careful not to over-whisk eggs to avoid air bubbles in the custard)
- Strain mixture
- Ladle mixture into custard cups, fill them around 2/3 full
- Put custard cups into a baking dish
- Use warm water to fill baking dish, halfway up the custard cups’ sides
- Bake for about 50 minutes
- Pull from oven, let cups cool in water bath (approx. 2 hours)
- Remove cups, after that use a plastic wrap to cover and refrigerate for around 4 hours
- When ready to serve, run knife around the cup’s edge and transfer to a plate
- Top with fruit or mint, or to taste.
The previous preparation directions can result in about 8 custard cups per serving. There are many modifications to the original recipe, but you can always try this healthier one. Was it difficult to prepare at all? Make use of this Banh Flan recipe wisely for a delicious treat.