Making a cornbread recipe with mix doesn’t have to be difficult or complicated. On the contrary to what people believe, cornbread is easily fixed and prepared – as long as you know what to prepare and the proper steps to do so. What’s interesting is that you can also add another mix into your cornbread, enhancing its flavor and also texture. So, how to make one and what elements can you add to it?
Cornbread Recipe with Mix General Facts
Cornbread is a staple cuisine from Southern areas. It’s popular for the rich and buttery texture, making it ideal as a side dish while enjoying your chili or soups. The dish itself is simple (but super tasty), and it’s quite flexible. If you have another add-in, you can ‘tweak’ and enhance the flavor, creating various tastes according to your preference.
- ¾ cup of flour (most preferably the all purpose type)
- A cup of yellow cornmeal, finely ground
- 1 ½ tablespoon of sugar (you can adjust the amount, depending on how sweet you want it to be)
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ¾ teaspoon of baking soda (it’s okay if it’s less)
- 1 ½ teaspoon of (premium) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ cups of buttermilk
- 2 eggs (preferably the big ones)
- Any seasonings or add-ins. This is completely optional
How to Make One
- Preheat the oven. Set it for 430 degrees Fahrenheit (or similar to 220 degrees Celsius)
- Grease the baking pan with butter or oil spray, covering all the sides
- Mix all dry ingredients together: yellow cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Melt the butter
- Crack the eggs in another bowl. Whisk and beat them.
- Pour the melted butter and also the buttermilk to the eggs. This would be the wet ingredients
- In the dry ingredients bowl, create a well so you can pour the wet ingredients
- Stir and fold it together. You need to do it thoroughly, but don’t overmix it because it can make the cornbread tough
- The end result may be lumpy, but if you don’t have any dry spot, that’s completely fine.
- Your batter is ready, and you can add the extra ingredients. Stir completely
- Bake it. It should take around 15 minutes – 20 minutes, top. Or bake until the top turns golden yellow. By using a toothpick test, make sure that the inside is already cooked.
The Extra Add-in
Cornbread is a versatile dish that will do well with sweet or savory elements, so you are basically free to include your favorite element.
- The most popular type is parmesan or cheddar. But you also need to remember that some cheese types have quite a lot of salt, so you may need to adjust the amount of salt included in your recipe
- Sweet or spicy pepper. ½ cup of red pepper flakes or crushed cayenne will just be awesome. If you want to add texture, you can even add (finely) chopped jalapenos.
- Pepperoni, sausage, or bacon. ½ cup of them would be enough.
- Chopped veggies. This is perfect if you want to make a fuller and healthier option.
- Berries and sweet fruits. Chop them first before adding them to the batter. You can have blackberries, cranberries, blueberries, apple wedges and peeled peach.
- Unsalted or salted nuts, such as toasted peanuts, pine nuts, cashews, or pecans.
- Honey and lime juice. This is perfect if you like tangy cornbread.
As you can see, making the cornbread is super easy and simple. With these various ideas of cornbread recipe with mix, you can make tasty dish that everyone loves.