Planning to make your weekend night an enjoyable one with Mexican pinwheel chips? Sounds like a great idea. You won’t regret having us to help you with the recipe today. It is very easy to make, but this will require you to move a bit and visit that local Mexican grocery store.
But why on earth you should visit a grocery store just to have this snack? First of all, it’s about the ingredients. The Mexican pinwheel chips snacks base ingredients are available on your local Mexican grocery store. If not, you can always opt online shopping. As for the second reason, well, it’s about cutting off some calories before munching these finger-licking snacks.
Because these snacks with adorable shapes will have you addicted on it. Hence, before getting too full of snacks, it’d be better to make the move now while purchasing the ingredients.
Talking about recipe won’t be enough without talking about its ingredients, indeed. So, what are the ingredients required for making this snack?
- 1 ½ cups of chicarrones de harina. While chiccarones are what Mexican call as dried pork skin, chiccarones de harina is made from wheat flour. You can find this on, of course, the aisle of your favorite Mexican grocery store.
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying the chips
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground cayenne paper
- 1 tsp ground arbol chili
- First, prepare a small bowl to mix the spices. Then, after measuring the spices (all stated above but the chiccarones, lime, and vegetable oil), mix them in that bowl until it is mixed properly.
- Along the process, you can as well prepare a pot that you usually take to deep fry. Onto this pot, heat up the vegetable oil with medium heat, until the oil temperature sticks around 350oF. Also, prepare a baking tray with baking sheet and paper towels prepared on it. Place it near to the pot.
- Then, fry your Mexican pinwheel chiccarones. You can start by frying it a few at a time—maybe ten or so. Never do it in bulk since chiccarones de harina is ‘poofing’ open when it gets fried. Often flip to avoid getting the chips burnt and cook until the chiccarones start to brown.
- Remove the chips while also draining it—use an oil skimmer to do so. Then, transfer it to the paper towel with baking sheet and tray underneath.
- Now, it’s time to squeeze your lie on top of the chips. After that, sprinkle the previously mixed spices and serve immediately since it can get soggy fast.
So, that is the procedure of making this great snack for your weekend. What to wait? Get ready to buy the chiccarones and make your own Mexican pinwheel chips.