Who doesn’t like IKEA’s Swedish meatball sauce with sour cream? Called Köttbullar in Swedish, it’s made of beef and pork and served with a delicious gravy. While it was first introduced by Swedish-American immigrants, IKEA made them hugely popular.
We have the best Swedish meatball recipe for you. It’s not only very simple and quick. The next time you’re craving meatballs, you don’t need to head to IKEA. This recipe tastes just like theirs – or maybe even better!
- 1 large egg
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Garlic powder and ground allspice, ½ tsp each
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ¼ pound lean ground beef
- 2 slices of bread, tear into small pieces
- 2 tbsp flour
- Worcestershire sauce and oil, 1 tbsp each
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ – 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 ¾ cup beef or chicken broth with low sodium
- Mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles (optional, for serving)
Swedish Meatball Sauce with Sour Cream Recipe
- Heat 1 tbsp butter with medium heat, then add onions. Cook for 3-5 minutes until they become translucent. While allowing them to cool, pour milk over bread in a small bowl and let it soak for 5 minutes.
- After the onions are cool, add egg, salt, nutmeg, ground beef, pepper, allspice, and soaked bread. Combine them and form 18-22 meatballs with a diameter of around 1-1 ¼”.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter using medium-high heat, then add the meatballs. Cook for about 6-9 minutes until they turn brown evenly. Do this in batches if you don’t have a large skillet to cook all the meatballs at once.
- Add the remaining butter on medium-low heat. Sprinkle in the flour, then pour the broth gradually as you whisk until it turns golden brown (about 1-2 minutes). Then add the sour cream on lower heat until it entirely dissolves.
- After that, mix in the Worcestershire sauce, ½ tsp mustard, and garlic powder until the mixture simmers. Lower the heat and allow the sauce to thicken until a suitable consistency is reached (about 6-10 minutes). If you’re unsatisfied with the taste, add more mustard.
- When 4 minutes are left, add the meatballs to the sauce.
- Once done, you’re all set!
Serve this Swedish meatball sauce with sour cream with mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles if you wish, and enjoy the meal!