Yukon gold mashed potatoes skin on – Who does not love mashed potatoes? This side dish is perfect to serve with any foods. You can serve it with beef steak, roasted turkey, rotisserie chicken, baked salmon, meatloaf, and many more. If you want to make the most delicious skin-on mashed potatoes, you can use thin-skinned potatoes, such as baby potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes. Small red, white, or yellow potatoes will be amazing.
Small potatoes are perfect, especially if you do not have enough time. You can cut them into 2 pieces or 4 pieces. They are also creamier compared to starchy potatoes, such as russet potatoes. So, if you prefer creamy mashed potatoes, choose thin-skinned, small potatoes. Without any further ado, here is the homemade Yukon gold mashed potatoes skin on recipe.
- 2 pounds of small, white, red, or yellow potatoes
- 1 cup of milk, stock, or a combination of milk and stock. You can use chicken stock or vegetable stock.
- ¼ teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of butter of olive oil
- A little bit of cream or one tablespoon of sour cream. This is optional.
- Scrub the potatoes and dice them in a similar size. You can slice them into 2 pieces or 4 pieces. Leave the skin on.
- After that, boil the potatoes in a large saucepan. Do not forget to add a tablespoon of salt to the water. Boil the potatoes over medium to high heat and reduce to a low simmer. Cook them until they are soft, around 15 minutes to 20 minutes.
- Next, drain the boiled potatoes and cover them with a clean dish towel. Leave them for around 5 minutes. This is intended to absorb excess steam that can make your mashed potatoes watery.
- While waiting for the boiled potatoes, heat the milk or stock and add butter until it melts.
- Pour in the warm butter mixture to boiled potatoes, then mashed them. Potatoes will absorb the milk or stock after a minute or 2 minutes. Then, add the fresh ground black pepper. You can also add cream or sour cream if you want to.
- Give it a taste and you can adjust the seasoning with additional pepper and salt.
- Leave mashed potatoes for about 5 minutes to let them thicken. Then, you can serve your Yukon gold mashed potatoes skin on.
You only need 35 minutes in total to cook this Yukon gold mashed potatoes skin on.