Frontega Chicken Panera or Frontega Chicken Panini is one of the most popular menus offered by Panera Bread. It’s a smoked chicken, tomatoes, mozzarella, fresh basil, red onions, and some chipotle sauce on focaccia bread. If you are a fan of this delicious sandwich, you don’t need to go out just to enjoy the tastiest bites you ever had. With some accessible ingredients, you can enjoy this sandwich whenever you can. Here is the Frontega Chicken Panera recipe:
For Frontega Chicken Panini:
- 22 ounces of poached, fried, or grilled chicken breast, shredded
- 2 red tomatoes, sliced
- 2 round of focaccia
- ½ purple onion, sliced
- 8 slices of Mozzarella cheese
- 10 to 12 fresh basil, finely chopped
For the chipotle sauce:
- ½ cup of Hellmans Chipotle Mayonnaise, opt for a spicy one
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- To make Frontega Chicken Panera, you first need to cook the chicken breast. Season it with pepper and garlic salt. Sauté for a while until the meat is no longer pink and shred it. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and the chipotle mayo; set aside. Slice the tomatoes and purple onion, set aside. Cut the black pepper focaccia bread into half. Spread the chipotle sauce onto both sides of the bread.
- Layer the shredded chicken, slices of tomatoes, purple onions, fresh basil leaves, and the Mozzarella cheese. On a panini press, grill the sandwich over high-medium heat. Once the cheese is perfectly melted and the bread is crisp enough, turn off the heat, remove it from the press, and cut each of the focaccia sandwiches into four pieces. Frontega Chicken Panini is ready to serve
Note: If you can’t find any Foccacia buns in the grocery store, you can substitute them with a loaf or ciabatta buns. Both types of bread would be great for this copycat recipe. But if you find black pepper Foccacia, go opt for it because the authentic Frontega Chicken in Panera Bread uses this type of bread.
You can also substitute the shredded chicken breasts with some leftover turkey or rotisserie chicken if you still have it. If you don’t like raw purple onion, consider adding it for it will make the sandwich has a bit of zing flavor. If you don’t have a panini maker, you can cook the Frontega Chicken Panera as you would do with a regular grilled cheese sandwich.