Who doesn’t want to try making NYT no knead sourdough? When baking a cake or loaves of bread requires you a long procedure, this no-knead sourdough recipe offers you the otherwise. It’s simple and suitable even for a novice in baking.
One thing you should know before trying making this bread is, you have to prepare a sourdough starter before remaking the recipe. You may buy it somewhere or have someone to give you some. To use it, make sure you’ve fed it well. Some good signs are to see the starter bubbly, and along with it you will get a light yeasty scent.
Ingredients (1 loaf yield):
- Around 750 grams to 1 kg of bread flour:
- 475 grams for the bread-making process
- The rest are additional for dusting; don’t worry, there will be remaining flours for your further baking project.
- A half cup of sourdough starter, ‘healthy’ and ‘well-fed’
- 6 grams kosher salt
- 20 grams (2 tablespoons) of sesame seeds
With only those aforementioned ingredients, let’s try to remake NYT no knead sourdough. Here is what you should do in order to make your NYT sourdough.
- Grab a mixing bowl then combine your bread bowl and salt altogether.
- Grab a smaller mixing bowl, prepare your sourdough starter and stir it together with 300 grams lukewarm water. Make sure it doesn’t clump whatsoever.
- Then, pour the sourdough starter + water mixture into the bowl of flour and salt mix. Mix it well enough.
- Have a roll of plastic wrap and tea towel. Next, cover your dough bowl with these. Leave it overnight to rise.
- On the next day, dust a surface for kneading with generous amount of flour. Directly place the dough on the surface; then start folding the dough outside in while forming a round loaf. Don’t forget to have more flour for dusting.
- Have a clean cloth dusted with more flour. Sprinkle some sesame seeds in small area of it.
- Position the dough on top of the seeds and the cloth. Lightly dust again, cover, and let it sit to double its size. This will take around 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Have a pot with a lid, or an enamel Dutch oven into the preheated oven (30-40 minutes). Take back the pot/Dutch oven then invert the dough carefully into the pot. You can also have your loaf be inverted onto a lightly-dusted parchment paper beforehand.
- Put the pot lid back then bake the dough for around 30 minutes. Take off the lid, and let it bake again for an additional 20 minutes until the surface is crusty and brown.
To serve the loaf, let it cool beforehand for at least 30 minutes. After that, you can enjoy the fragrant, crusty, and delicious NYT no knead sourdough.