The shredded phyllo dough that is also called Tel Kadayif in Turkey is a delicate pastry that is layered as same as phyllo but it has shaggier thin strands. This shredded phyllo dough has become the base for crunchy and sticky desserts in the Middle East and the Mediterranean.
The Greek pastry that is known as Kataifi is the shredded phyllo dough stuffed with walnuts, pistachios, or almonds and added with the scent of rose or orange water.
chicken meat and broccoli shredded Phyllo dough
When you re-create this recipe, it is important to ensure your phyllo dough dry. This phyllo dough recipe can serve as an appetizer size. You also can serve this with fruit salad for a lunch meal.
- 1 pound boneless chicken meat
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 6 tablespoon bread crumbs
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces thawed frozen broccoli
- ½ cup red bell pepper, cut into dice
- 3 tablespoon Dijon
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Cut the boneless chicken meat join into ½ inch cubes. Roast until it turns into gold and cooks well
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Put roasted chicken meat join and broccoli in a mixing bowl. In another small saucepan, boil chicken broth, simmer with lower heat, add red bell pepper and onion and simmer for another 10 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch with 2 tablespoon water. Stir in the mustard, cornstarch mixture, and pepper and wait until it boils while stirring well. Turn off the heat and mix with broccoli and chicken meat, set aside.
- Spray baking dish with nonstick spray. Set one line of phyllo and sprinkle one tablespoon bread crumbs. Repeat these steps 3 times. Fill with meat (chicken meat and broccoli mixture). Cover the meat with phyllo dough, layer well and same as the top and bottom layer. Check again, your shredded phyllo dough layer will be 4 sheets of phyllo dough and 3 tablespoon breadcrumbs beneath and top of the meat. Tuck the overlapping phyllo dough into the inner side baking dish. Put the phyllo into the oven and bake for 25 minutes until the phyllo changes color into brown. Cut to serve into a square.
Tips for cook phyllo dough
- Your phyllo dough will easily dry out when it is not stored and handled properly
- Brushing shredded phyllo dough before baking with melted butter can help avoid the cracking and sticking dough. This also gives your shredded phyllo dough a nice golden color.