Mashed potatoes with evaporated milk are a tasty, affordable, quick, and versatile side dish. Everyone loves mashed potatoes. You can serve it with grilled chickens, beef steak, barbeque, meatloaf, and many more. Instant mashed potatoes are quick as well. But, homemade mashed potatoes with evaporated milk are creamier and richer. You can also adjust it to your personal taste. So, how to make homemade mashed potatoes?
You just need a few ingredients to make creamy homemade mashed potatoes. And the ingredients are easy to find.
- 6 big potatoes. I prefer to use Yukon Gold potatoes or Russets potatoes.
- ¾ cup of canned evaporated milk.
- ½ cup of butter.
- A pinch of salt and pepper.
- Peel all of the potatoes and rinse them with water to clean any dirt. Then, cut them into quarters.
- Put potatoes into a pot. Add enough water to cover the potatoes by around an inch. Sprinkle a little bit of salt.
- Cover the pot and boil the potatoes. Reduce to a simmer and cook the potatoes until they are tender but not mushy. This takes around 20 minutes to 25 minutes. Once they are fork tender, drain the potatoes and put them back in the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the evaporated milk for 45 seconds. You can heat it by using a microwave or stove.
- Mash potatoes with a masher. Add butter, warmed evaporated milk, and pepper to taste. Mix it well.
- Serve your homemade mashed potatoes with your favorite dishes.
As you can see, it is really quick to make mashed potatoes with evaporated milk. You only need around 40 minutes to make it. This recipe is for 4 servings to 6 servings of homemade mashed potatoes.
How to Bring the Recipe to the Next Level
Mashed potatoes do not always have to be plain. You can modify it according to your taste. For example, you can add 3 cups of your favorite cheese to hot mashed potatoes before you serve it. Cheesy mashed potatoes are good with crispy bacons or thinly-sliced scallions. Or, do you love spicy food? Then, you can give a kick to your mashed potatoes by adding a tablespoon of your favorite chili sauce. Spicy mashed potatoes go well with Mexican meals or Middle Eastern meals. Are you ready to make this rich, creamy homemade mashed potatoes with evaporated milk?