You can have your own Applebee’s French onion soup at home. For your information, onion soup is very popular in French. You will find several variations from different restaurants and chefs. If you want to try the simplest one, the recipe from Applebee seems to be the right choice. To know how to cook it, check the following section.
- 2 tbsps butter
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- 10-12 cups white onions, sliced (6 to 8 large onions)
- 1-2 tsps salt
- 1 1/2 tsps garlic chopped
- 10-12 cups beef broth, low-sodium
- 1 tbsp beef base
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 8-10 slices firm bread
- 8 tsps grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 tbsps Provolone cheese (sliced)
- Prepare a stockpot then preheat it with butter and oil. Add onions and cook them until brown. Stir slowly to get the melted form then add garlics. Put additional butter if necessary. This process takes up to 30 minutes.
- Put the beef base, broth, and black pepper. Mix and stir again slowly. Use medium to low heat. Simmer it up to 45 minutes. The soup is ready.
- To serve it, put the soup into a bowl and add cheese on top of it. Bake into an oven until the cheese is melted.
From the list above, the key ingredient is onion. Applebee’s French onion soup recipe is mostly for the white onion, but you are free to pick yellow or any kind of it. White onion has sweet taste that can be better mixture with cheese and beef. You also need beef base. You can get this one in the store.
Cooking instructions for the best French onion soup are very easy and simple. You just make the melted onion with garlics then add the rest of ingredients to enhance the flavor. As alternative, garlic is not necessary if you do not like it. You need to cook the onion at least 20 minutes then simmer it up to 45 minutes. This process may be shorter when the onions are sliced smoothly.
After the soup is done, you can serve it with breed and cheese. In that case, you should heat in the broiler or bake in the oven. Spread the cheese and wait until it is melted before eating the soup. It takes few minutes, and you will get the delicious onion soup. You may add more salt and black pepper to maintain the flavor. Moreover, pour additional beef broth when the mixture is less thick. That’s what you should do when cooking Applebee’s French onion soup.