When it comes to Mexican street food, nothing beats the easy peasy elote recipe cup, or elote en vaso. Besides easy to make, it also tastes so good! The sweet and savory corn, mixed with some kind of hot pepper sauce, and then balanced with fresh lime juice. Not to forget, cotija cheese to beautify the top. This corn-based food is easy and fun to make. To make it, you can bring along your kids to make it together.
Alright, be ready to note this elote recipe. You’ll mesmerized how easy will this snack is going to be made.
- 1 lb of canned corn or frozen corn. Shuck and remove the kernels.
- Cotija cheese, crumbled. As a replacement, you can use queso fresco or parmesan cheese.
- Chili powder
- 1 lime, cut it into several wedges
- 2 tbsp of butter and
- Hot pepper/cayenne sauce
- Crema Mexicana
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro to taste
- First on this elote recipe cup, boil your corn kernels until it is well cooked. Drain the water.
- Combine your corn with the butter.
- On your sauce pan, put the butter and add ¼ cups of water. Make it half melted, then add the corn kernels into the saucepan and cook it until the ingredients are well-mixed.
- If you are using a microwave, have a microwave-safe container first. You don’t have to melt the butter beforehand. Instead, place the corn, water, and butter altogether. Then set your microwave to 1 minute to melt the butter.
- Once the corn is cooked, add salt to taste. You can also add pepper if you like.
- Grab your serving cup then fill it half with the corn.
- Then add 1 tbsp of mayonnaise, 1 tbsp of crema, 1 tsp of butter, cotija cheese, and chili powder. Mix it well before adding the next corn layer.
- On top of the half, add more corn kernels. But, don’t make it too full since you will need to add several more toppings.
- Once you filled it, add 1 tbsp of crema, 1 tsp of butter, a generous amount of cotija cheese, and chili powder.
- After that, add some hot sauce, cilantro, and lime juice as the last touch.
You surely will have to mix it well before eating. Seen from the ingredients itself, you’ll know that this corn-based Mexican street food is flavorful. You can find many distinct flavors while scooping it into your mouth. Spicy kick, delightful savory taste, creamy saltiness, and subtle sweet made up this elote recipe cup!