Italian hoagie meats are like heaven for every sandwich enthusiast. The layers of thinly sliced meats, shredded lettuce, cheese, onions, tomatoes, and the black pepper that gets sprinkled on it are like the best way to eat bunches of food at the same time. The combination of meats that are used in Italian hoagie is not just any meat. It should be the best kind of meat that is cooked in many different ways.
- In order to get a variety of flavor and texture on an Italian sandwich, it’s important to incorporate one cured, emulsified, and cured meat. Here are the distinctions:
- Cooked meats are a type of meat that has been baked, steamed, or roasted. This includes roast beef, turkey, or ham. This meat gives an excellent texture to a sandwich.
- A cured meat is a type of meat that has been cooked by smoking, salting, brining, or aging. The typical example of this meat is capicola, salami, speck, and prosciutto. Cured meat will give saltiness, tangy flavor, and add chewiness to a sandwich.
- Meanwhile, an emulsified meat is a mix of meat slurry with chopped fat and some spices. The main example of this emulsified meat is bologna. The purpose of this type of meat is to give creamy flavor to a sandwich.
As long as you use one type of meat from the three types of Italian hoagie meats above, you can create any combination you like for a sandwich. In order to make a sandwich with a variety of flavor and texture, it’s highly recommended to incorporate three types of meats.
In case you want to taste the best Italian hoagie meats, you can make it on your own by following the recipe below.
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 2 tsp of red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ pound of thin slices of prosciutto, ham, and soppressata
- ¼ pound of provolone cheese
- Thinly slices of tomatoes and onions
- 1/8 cup of shredded lettuce
- Slice the hoagie rolls in half lengthwise.
- In a small bowl, put oregano, vinegar, and olive oil. Slowly whisk it until perfectly emulsified.
- Remove some of the centers of the bread as desired.
- Sprinkle the bread with the oil mixture.
- Put the meats and then the cheese.
- Top with the onions, tomatoes, and lettuce. Sprinkle it with more of the oil mixture as desired.
There it is: classic Italian hoagie meats are ready to enjoy on any occasion and can be a perfect meal for anyone who wants to taste many types of meats in one sandwich.