Marcella Hazan bolognese recipe has been translated in English and become staples in a lot of kitchen. For your information, Marcella Hazan is an Italian born that prominent figure in the field of Italian Cuisine. Her cookbooks are to go-to guide and classic for many who want to try Italian food, especially the traditional recipe like gnocchi or basi pesto.
Ragù is the term that the Bolognese used to describe their meat sauce. Marcella Hazan bolognese sauce recipe is characterized by the gentle, comforting, and mellow flavor that can be accomplished by anyone with a few key points. One of them is using the right meat, not too lean. Marcella Hazan bolognese recipe has been known for decades and it is hard to find anything better than this. Here is the list of ingredients and instructions to follow if you were to make one.
- ¾ lbs. ground lean beef, may be mix with pork or veal
- 1 lbs. pappardelle or tagliatelle pasta
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups canned tomatoes with the juice, chopped
- 2 tbsp. yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. carrot, chopped
- 2 tbsp. celery, chopped
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Prepare a large sized heavy pot. Put oil, butter, and onion inside. Stir over medium heat briefly until the onion turn translucent.
- Add carrot and celery, cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add ground beef and salt then cook until the meat is no longer raw and red.
- Pour the wine, turn up the heat to medium high. Stir until the wine evaporated.
- Bring the heat down, add nutmeg and milk and wait until the milk has evaporated.
- Add tomatoes and stir until it started to bubble up.
- Turn the heat and cook with lazy simmer until the sauce bubble occasionally.
- Open the cover and cook for 3 to 4 hours while occasionally stirring it.
- Serve with the pasta and add grated cheese if you’d like.
It might be too stereotypical but just like majority of Italians, Marcella had strong opinions over the use of garlic and she typically used more butter than conventional Italian cooks. There are several classic sauce recipes that she has and each of them are outstanding. They are even considered as the gold standard of classic Italian cuisine, that’s why it is important to try the Marcella Hazan bolognese recipe above and taste it for yourself.