Unpasteurized Sauerkraut combines the anti-carcinogenic of cabbage with lactic acid fermentation. Study in Finland confirmed it has high antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin. It also contents calcium, potassium, magnesium and vitamins C and K. Fresh unpasteurized sauerkraut has high enzyme which supports the pancreas and increase digestive strength.
The fermentation process makes it is capable to establish beneficial lactobacilli cultures needed by your body. Since it has much vitamin C, it means it contributes a powerful antioxidant. Study also said it can regulate blood sugar levels which mean it is suggested for diabetics. Here is the recipe to make unpasteurized sauerkraut.
- 1 green cabbage
- 1 tablespoon of non-iodized salt
- 2-3 carrots.
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped.
- Prepare 1-quart jar for Sauerkraut, and 4-ounce smaller jar to press it down.
- Kitchen scale to measure cabbage mixture process.
- Placing garlic and carrot in a large bowl. Then slice cabbage into quarters.
- Shred the cabbage into the large bowl along with carrot and garlic. 800 grams will fit a 1-quart jar.
- Add salt and mix it into the cabbage for few minutes.
- Pack the cabbage into jar, and pressing it down. Pour the water and salt to the jar. Make sure the mixture submerged well.
- Trim the cabbage leaf, and place it in the jar especially on top of the mixture you have made.
- Put 4-ounce jar with no lid inside the larger one, top of the mixture.
- Don’t forget to press jelly jar down, so that it keeps your cabbage mixture. Screwing the lid to 1-quart jar.
- Leave lid little bit loose to allow escaping of gases when the fermentation process run.
- Don’t put it under direct sunlight for 1-4 weeks.
When you want to get sweeter unpasteurized sauerkraut¸ the tip is to get larger head of cabbage. It will make the taste of sauerkraut being better. The longer you have it fermented, it will taste stronger. However, you can adjust your fermentation process based on what you need. When you want to stop it in 10 days, it is also okay. The taste will be different, but the nutrition will remain the same.
This food can be additional dish when you are about to have healthier lifestyle in order to make your own immune gets better. Enjoying unpasteurized sauerkraut with your main course is a perfect combination.