In cold winter’s days, you must be craving some hearty soups to warm your body like Ivar’s clam chowder. As North American classic dish, chowder is the most recommended options on the list. This seafood or veggie stew can be made of white fish, crab, sweet potatoes, and corn. Nevertheless, the essential part of chowder lies in the clam variety.
In New England, the dish is definitely the best clam chowder in the state. Even so, the thick and creamy clam chowder is something you can make yourself at home. Now, let’s check the Ivar’s Clam Chowder recipe.
- 2 canned minced clams (6.5 ounces)
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 cup of diced celery
- 2 cups of diced potatoes
- 3 tablespoons of margarine, or unsalted butter (choose as you desire)
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 4 cups of half-and-half milk at a room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt for seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper for seasoning
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- Pour the juice from the canned clams in a separate pan, set aside the clams.
- Add the chopped celery, onion, and potatoes into the same pan. Stir it well, and add remaining juice from the canned clams.
- Add sufficient water to the pan to cover and simmer the vegetables. Put the cover over the pan, and boil it with medium heat for about 30 minutes until the vegetables, especially the potatoes cooked.
- Melt the margarine or unsalted butter in a large pan, add the flour, and stir it continuously for about two minutes.
- Pour the half-and-half milk, whisk and cook it for five minutes with medium-low heat until the mixture thickens.
- Once the half-and-half base down, pour it into the vegetable pan and add the clams.
- At last, season with kosher salt, pepper, and sugar.
The Ivars clam chowder is ready to serve. You may enjoy it with French loaf or crusty bread, but it already tastes great on its own. It is also great to put it in the refrigerator, and reheat it for several days once you finished cooking.
You can also improve the recipe to your heart contents. If you think something is missing from this recipe and it’s a bit bland, you may as well add a little bit diced bacon to get the smoky flavor and a few spices. If you want to get some freshness in your Ivars clam chowder, just add lemon juice.