When Chipotle – one of the famous fast food chains in USA introduces chipotle Mexican grill sofritas menu, it was rejoice for vegans. Sofritas is a dish that made up from chopped or shredded tofu. It tastes flavorful and spicy. The one you can get in this restaurant is bit saucy and make an amazing addition to burritos, salads, or tacos.
Now, if you want to make a similar dish, here is the copycat chipotle Mexican grill sofritas recipe with complete ingredients and steps needed to recreate.
- 1 medium-sized onion, quartered
- 1 medium-sized tomato, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium-sized green bell pepper
- 2 chipotle chilies
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup water
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 16 oz. firm tofu, cut into 8 slices and pressed
- 1 tbsp rice bran oil or olive oil
- To press the tofu, drain it and wrap over paper towel, then put in a dish.
- Put a heavy object over it for 15 minutes in order to remove its moisture. For example, a can as the heavy item will do.
- To make marinade, combine all ingredients listed into food processor except the tofu and oil. Mix them until the marinade thoroughly blended and the texture thickened. Set the marinade aside.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat, until the oil shimmering.
- Put the tofu on the pan, cook for about 10 minutes while flip it occasionally until it turns into golden brown color then remove it from the pan.
- Using a food processor, pulse the tofu or chop it off until it becomes roughly ¼ inch size in pieces.
- Put the tofu inside bowl and pour the marinade sauce.
- Cover the bowl and let it sit for minimum half an hour. You can also leave it overnight in refrigerator.
- To cook the chipotle Mexican grill sofritas, heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Add marinated tofu, ¼ cup of water (or more according to the consistency that you’d like).
- Let them boil to the point of simmering, for about 10 minutes.
- Adds seasoning such as salt and pepper.
The key ingredient in the recipe above is the extra firm tofu, so make sure you look thoroughly for it. You only need maximum 55 minutes to prep and cook it. The recipe of chipotle Mexican grill sofritas above can serve up to four people.