Louisiana is famous for its hot sauce products in the market, such as Bulliard’s Hot Sauce. You’ve probably heard many other brands beside Builliard’s such as Tabasco, Valentina, Frank’s, Melinda’s and so on. Their products are easy to find in grocery stores, especially on their hometown.
Bulliard’s Hot Sauce itself is produced by Peppers Unlimited, Inc. that has carried long family tradition through 4 generations and 100 years of crafting pepper sauce. The company is established in 1993, but the first ancestor of hot sauce from Bulliard’s is commercially sold in 1910.
If you have tasted the original Louisiana hot sauce, it is understandable to want to recreate it, since the sauce has this simply hot but flavorful taste. Good news is, you only need three ingredients to make it at home on your own. Here is the recipe to create the renowned sauce to enjoy with any suitable meal.
- 1 lbs. cayenne/red jalapeno/Tabasco/other peppers, chopped
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- Prepare a pot in medium heat.
- Put the chili peppers of your choice, white wine vinegar, and the salt on it. Let it quickly boil then put the salt in.
- Lower the heat and let the mixture soften up for about 10 minutes.
- Allow it to slightly cool down before adding it into food processor. Process the sauce mixture until it is all smooth. You may add a tablespoon of water or two if the sauce is too thick.
- Remove the solid from sauce mixture by straining it.
- Pour the sauce into bottle container. Enjoy or save it in refrigerator to savor anytime.
The original Bulliard’s hot sauce is actually processed with fermented pepper – and majority, if not all brands from Louisiana are using it. Some even ferment their peppers for about three years before mashing them with salt and vinegar to put out production. However, the recipe above is perfect to choose if you want the simple way to create it. Besides, instead of days or weeks, it only needs above half an hour to make despite being able to last for few months if it’s canned correctly and kept in refrigerator.
As it has been mentioned above, you can use any peppers of your choice, be it cayenne, red jalapeno, Tabasco, or any sort of chili pepper in general. However, most will agree that cayenne peppers make the most fitting final taste for the Bulliard’s Hot Sauce.