Making grandma’s old fashioned mac and cheese is mandatory whenever you need comfort food. Mac and cheese is indeed the best comfort food you can ever make. It is creamy, delicious, and satisfying. Here is the simplest recipe of old-fashioned mac and cheese. Its classic flavor will bring you down the memory lane for sure.
- 1 lbs elbow macaroni
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 medium-sized eggs, beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened.
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large pot, pour 3 cups water and add in salt and oil. Bring the water to boil and cook elbow macaroni in it until al dente. Drain the cooked macaroni and set it aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 177 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes or so.
- In a small saucepan, add together beaten egg, milk, butter, and shredded cheese. Cook and stir until everything is well-combined and melted.
- Add in cooked macaroni and stir until the mac is combined with the cheese sauce.
- Give the grandma’s old fashioned mac and cheese mix a taste and adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a casserole dish. Use cooking spray to coat the dish, preventing the mac and cheese from sticking.
- Pour the mac and cheese into the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the toasted breadcrumbs onto the dish.
- Cover the top with aluminum foil and then bake the dish into the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the aluminum foil cover. Bake again for 15 minutes until the top (breadcrumbs) is slightly browned. Serve immediately.
Making mac and cheese cannot get easier than this. You will find the taste way better than the boxed mac and cheese. This is why you need to know exactly how to make the old school mac and cheese. Follow the recipe up above precisely and you will end up successfully making the dish for sure.
The mac and cheese dish can be served on its own. Or, if you like it to be a part of Southern classic, you can serve it as side dish for fried chicken, along with the collard green and other items on the plate. This grandma’s old fashioned mac and cheese recipe is just something that you have to try.