It seems like everybody in New York (or at least in Great Binghamton area) knows what spiedie sauce or marinade is. This special sauce is often used to season skewered meat. It provides a bright vivid note to complement the heavy taste that fatty meat leaves behind. Let’s learn how to use this sauce to recreate the classic sub for New Yorkers!
Spiedie Sauce or Marinade:
- A cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- 4 tablespoons bottled mayonnaise.
- 3 tablespoons vinegar, apple cider vinegar is the classic.
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic or you can use garlic powder for less strong flavor.
- A tablespoon of smoked paprika.
- A tablespoon of powdered dry basil.
- A tablespoon of powdered dry oregano.
- A tablespoon of powdered dry rosemary.
- A squeeze of fresh lemon.
- Salt to taste, but please to do it quite liberally.
- Pepper to taste.
- 3 pieces Italian bread roll, cut lengthwise
- 3 large size of chicken breasts, chopped as cubes
- Melted butter
- Prepare a large mixing bowl dump all the ingredients required for the marinade. Whisk all the ingredients until they are all well combined and you cannot see any lumps of mayonnaise or spices in the mix.
- Place chicken inside the marinade then cover it with plastic wrap. You should let the marinade seep into the meat for at least 2 hours inside the fridge. For the best result, overnight marinating would be your best bet. Take the chicken out from the fridge few hours before cooking.
- Heat up the grill beforehand then grease it with oil to prevent sticking.
- Grill the bread rolls first with the cut side down. The cut side should have been brushed with butter.
- You can use skewer to grill the chicken or simply grill the cut up pieces as they are.
- Make sure to only grill about 3 minutes for each side to prevent over cooking.
- Place the chicken pieces inside your grilled bread rolls.
- The same method and marinade can be applied to lamb spiedies recipe too.
This recipe can serve up to four people happily. The great thing about it is that you can multiply the recipe easier if you ever need to serve many people at once. You can add some special sauce such as garlic sauce or simple hot sauce in order to improve the flavor of this dish. If you want to, you can even whip up some extra spiedie sauce to place on top of the grilled chicken.