Portillos Italian beef is a delicious sandwich indeed. When people go to Portillo’s, they will most likely to order this sandwich. The secret ingredient to make this sandwich so delicious is in its gravy. The beef gravy is very savory and flavorful.
Can you make the sandwich on your own? Of course you can. All you need to do is make sure that you get the gravy right and then the whole dish will taste exactly like the original. Here is the recipe that you need to make the copycat sandwich.
- 4 Amoroso sandwich rolls, toasted
- 1 lbs Italian styled roast beef, thinly sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, cubed and sautéed until soft
- 1/4 cup beef fat oil
- 2 cubes beef bouillion, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon browning and seasoning sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- First, set aside the rolls, thinly sliced beef, and cooked bell pepper for Portillos Italian beef.
- Prepare a heavy-bottom sauce pan, heat it up over a medium-high heat.
- Pour in the beef fat oil and then combine with water, crushed beef builluon, and browning and seasoning sauce. Stir them well and then bring them to boil.
- Then, add in lemon juice, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 15 to 30 minutes until the mixture is thickened.
- When the gravy is done, turn off the heat and then cool it down completely.
- To assemble the sandwich, grab a bowl and then soak the sliced beef in the gravy. Grab the toasted sandwich rolls and then arrange the beef on the top of the rolls.
- Top it off with the cooked bell pepper.
The Portillos Italian beef nutrition is quite great as long as you use the high quality ingredients. Stay with the lean choice of beef for that purpose. Also, make sure that all other ingredients are fresh and healthy. It will make the sandwich delicious and nutritious for sure.
The sandwich can be served with choice of potato or with salad on the side. The dish does not even need anything else to taste delicious. You do not need to add more condiments such as ketchup or mustard over the Portillos Italian beef.