What makes a better dinner than ground beef and potato casserole Trisha Yearwood? It is the best meal to enjoy with your family and a glass of wine. It is surprisingly simple and doesn’t require much time. So time to get started!
- 3 lbs of peeled and sliced potatoes. Make it around ¼ inches thick.
- Half a cup of dry breadcrumbs (unseasoned)
- 1 lb of ground beef (the leaner, the better)
- Chopped half of onion
- ¼ cup of flour (all purpose)
- Black pepper
- 2 cups of grated cheddar (sharp slices)
- 2 cups of milk
- Half a stick of butter (around 4 tablespoons)
- Vegetable oil
- To cook the potatoes, place it in a large saucepan. Cover it with 1 inch of water and add a generous amount of salt. Cook it for 15 minutes or until tender. Make sure to not overcook it, so check the softness once in a while.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain it and arrange it in the casserole dish.
- Heat up the skillet at medium heat and coat the pan with vegetable oil. Then put in the beef and onion. Cook for 10 minutes until the meat is browned and the onion is soft. After it’s cooked, drain the fat.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Clean the saucepan then melt the butter inside. Add flour in pan and whisk it constantly at medium heat. When the mixture began to bubble and flour becomes light brown, pour the milk while continuously whisking it.
- Once the mixture thickens, season it with salt and pepper. Add cheese, cooked beef and onion whilst stirring the mix.
- Pour the cooked beef mixture onto the potatoes then bake it for 20 minutes. When you see the casserole started bubbling, take it out and spread the breadcrumbs over casserole. Bake it for 5 minutes more until the breadcrumbs are toasted.
Voila! You got yourself an authentic southern beef casserole! Make sure you use lean beef to prevent excess fat. Since many of ground beef and potato casserole Trisha Yearwood ingredients are completely cooked, it is possible to reduce baking time. To toast the breadcrumbs, put it in the broiler for a few minutes while the casserole is baked. Spread the toasted breadcrumbs over the hot casserole and serve.
The beauty of this dish is that you can use leftovers to make it. Use leftover portions of beef and cheese from your last barbeque, and use dry old loaves of bread to make the breadcrumbs. With ground beef and potato casserole Trisha Yearwood recipe, you can make yourself a perfect casserole anytime.