You can make frozen scalloped potatoes at home. Since long time ago, potatoes became favorite for meal during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Scalloped type seems to be the most one popular because it can blend with any ingredients. As the result, you have many recipes, and one of them is at the following sections.
- 1 package or 32 ounces frozen potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups or 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 can condensed and undiluted cream of chicken soup,
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup fried onions
- Prepare baking dish and preheat oven at 350 degree.
- Put potatoes, sour cream, and chicken soup. Mix slowly then add cheese, onion, butter, salt, and pepper.
- Mix them in baking dish and make sure to blend perfectly. After that, bake for one hour. Add fried onion and bake again for next 10 minutes.
Frozen scalloped potatoes uses already product from store, not fresh and raw one. Which one is better between raw and frozen one? Everyone has different taste, but both types are eligible to deliver delicious flavor. Fresh and raw potatoes become the top choice that you can get easily. On contrary, some areas do not provide this product. The alternative is available, which is frozen product from potatoes. Another reason is simple and easy to smash with tool. Even though the texture is cold and rigid, it will turn into smooth and subtle one after the temperature is stable. That’s why frozen product is favorable due to simple preparation without peeling the skin directly.
Instruction above is not complex. You only need ingredients and baking dish for simple scalloped potatoes. Put them together and mix until they blend in equal proportion. Preparation takes at least 10 minutes. You will spend more than 15 minutes if the potato is still raw. To create sour taste, the recipe uses sour cream alongside the condensed chicken soup. You can add more salt or pepper to boost the taste. It protects potatoes from excess sour. Of course, reducing cream is alternative if you do not quite like the sour level.
Baking time is 1 hour until the potatoes turn brown. As you see, onion consists of two sections. The first one is fresh and minced that mixed alongside the rest of ingredients. Second one is for topping where you put after an hour baking. Frozen scalloped potatoes recipe is suitable for family mealtime or small event with friends.