Barefoot contessa scalloped potatoes is the dish you cannot resist. It has tender texture and delicious flavor combined with high nutrition. How do you prepare this recipe? You need to prepare ingredients properly and cooking utensils, specifically oven. Next section will explore what you should have along with the steps to cook.
- 2-3 fennel bulbs
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon
- Potatoes, 2 pounds or 4 large ones
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2-3 cups Gruyère cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly grounded
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add butter to inside baking dish.
- Remove stalks on fennel and cut the bulbs in half size with the same length. Remove their cores and slice bulbs crosswise thinly about 4 cups fennel. Sauté onions and fennel in olive oil then add butter on medium heat until tender for 15 minutes.
- Peel potatoes then slice them thinly with a mandolin or by hand. Put in large bowl and mix them with cream, cheese, pepper, and salt. Add sautéed onion and fennel. Mix them until blended well.
- Put and spread potatoes into baking dish. Press down slowly to soothe texture and top layer. Add remaining creams and Gruyère then sprinkle at the top of smashed potatoes.
- Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes until potatoes are tender, look brown and bubbly at the top.
- Wait for 10 minutes and before serving.
Cheese is optional in this recipe because you can replace based on your personal preference. Particularly, cheese is not for this recipe. You can use unsalted butter and kosher salt. If both are not available in your area, try to pick anything with similar feature for cooking barefoot contessa scalloped potatoes. However, cheese becomes necessary if you want to imitate or apply barefoot contessa potatoes recipe completely.
Preparation takes time because you should peel potatoes. Moreover, the rest of ingredients have to be in ready mode. It takes 15 to 30 minutes for preparation section. After that, you only wait while the oven bake this recipe until everything is done.
For your information, this kind of meal is also called potato fennel gratin. The reason is fennel as extensive as the key ingredients to deliver strong taste and nutritious aspect. You can add more fennel, onion, and potatoes for more serving. Barefoot contessa scalloped potatoes will be favorite dish for your family.