Jamaican oxtail recipe slow cooker uses distinct ingredients that are different from regular stew. You need to put oxtail and mix it with additional ingredients. This recipe is popular in Jamaica. In other countries, they also bring this recipe and open restaurant. However, you might wonder how to cook it on your own. Let’s move on ingredients and cooking instructions.
- 1 pound oxtail, cut and slice into pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, minced fresh
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 1 scotch chile pepper, chopped
- Soy sauce, 2 tablespoons
- Black pepper, 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fava beans, canned and drained
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries
- Cornstarch, 1 tablespoon
- 1 fresh thyme, chopped
- Mix and marinate oxtail with onion, garlic, green onion, chile pepper, ginger, salt, thyme, soy sauce, and pepper.
- Prepare skillet and pour vegetable oil. Put oxtail mixture into skillet and cook in medium heat. Wait until oxtail turns brown approximately 10 minutes.
- Prepare slow cooker and pour 2 cups water. Put oxtail into cooker and stir. Simmer the stew for three to five hours.
- Then, add allspice berries and fava beans. Simmer again at medium heat.
- Mix cornstarch and water then stir it. Open slow cooker and pour it then stir to blend with oxtail. Simmer again for few minutes.
- Oxtail stew is ready when the meat is already dark brown, the sauce is thick, and the beans are soft.
The main ingredient in Jamaican oxtail recipe slow cooker is oxtail. Where do you find this part? Well, traditional market is the best choice. For the rest of ingredients, they are easy to find in nearby store.
Actually, it is easy oxtail recipe because there are no complex procedures. You only mix all ingredients in proper way. Prepare cooking dish and utensils then put everything in slow cooker. As you know, the cooking time is very long which more than three hours. If you do not have time for such process, use pressure cooker. It only takes one hour, even less than forty-five minutes.
The recipe is not strict to the rule because some people have different taste. It still uses oxtail, but can be added with additional ingredients like curry powder, carrot, potato, tomato, and more pepper. You are free to cook based on your personal taste in Jamaican oxtail recipe slow cooker.