B Guatemalan recipes are well-known for the complex flavor. They often use a lot of spices and herbs to create unique flavor profile for the dish. If you love Guatemalan dishes, you must love the diversity as well. Yes, the recipes from this particular region are quite diverse as they get the influences from many cultures.
It does not matter which Guatemalan dish you love the most, but when it comes to quick easy Guatemalan recipes, you’ve got to know how to make Curtido. Curtido is the pickled vegetable dish from Guatemala. It is a sort of Korean kimchi but with less heat and more herbs. This dish is very versatile as you can eat it as it is. You can also use it as side dish, or even stuff the pickled veggies on bread. Here’s the easy way to make Curtido.
- 1 medium-sized cabbage, halves and shredded
- 1 small-sized red onion, sliced
- 2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon dried chili
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- To make Curtido as one of the easiest B Guatemalan recipes, boil water in a large pot. Once the water is boiling, add in the shredded cabbage. Cook for exactly one minute and strain the cabbage to discard the water. Set it aside.
- To make the brine, mix together brown sugar, smoked paprika powder, dried chili, oregano, vinegar, and water in a large bowl. Stir well until the brown sugar is completely dissolved.
- Prepare a large jar with lid. Into the jar, add in the cooked cabbage, red onion slice, grated carrot, chopped green onions, olive oil, and black peppercorns.
- Pour in the bride and close the lid of the jar.
- Place the jar into refrigerator for at least two hours: preferably overnight.
The Curtido can last for 4 to 7 days in the fridge. You can make it ahead of time when you plan a party or dinner with family. The pickled is going to be perfect for side dishes to go with grilled meat, baked salmon, or even duck breast. The tanginess of B Guatemalan recipes is going to give nice and fresh flavor for your meal.