Hearing the word “muffin” might make you immediately think of a golden-brown baked cake and even about how many calories & carbs in English muffin if you’re on a diet and strictly counting calories. Either one is okay, but one thing for sure – English muffins are delicious.
This kind of cupcakes is a type of bread commonly eaten as snack, side dish, or used to make sandwiches. It is very different from the typical American muffins you find in bakeries. In this article, you can learn how to make the perfect English Muffin and just calculate the calories and carbs in English muffin.
- 10 oz of milk, plus some more
- 7 grams of instant dried yeast
- 2 tablespoons of white castor sugar
- 5 tablespoons of shortening
- 3 cups of plain flour, plus some more (all-purpose flour works just fine)
- Twenty grams of polenta, but you can skip this one.
- Some unsalted butter for coating pan and serving
- First step in making this English muffin is heating the milk until reaching around 37 degrees Celsius. After reaching this temperature, add the yeast and sugar and stir until dissolved. Set aside and wait for the mixture to start frothing.
- Furthermore, melt the shortening then mix it with the mixture made in step one. Add flour and sea salt. Add some milk and flour if you need to. Remember to not reduce the amount of shortening and flour even if you’re concerned about how many calories & carbs in English muffin. It is because changing the amount of ingredients drastically will result in failed English muffins.
- Knead the dough until it feels elastic. Put it into a glass bowl, cover with plastic and let it sit for an hour or until it doubles in size.
- Punch the dough on a floured surface until in becomes around two centimeters thick. Using a round cookie cutter or a glass, and make circles from the dough.
- Sprinkle some flour on a sheet of baking paper. Place the circles of dough and let them rise for another hour.
- Bake them in the oven at 170 degrees Celsius.
- Brown the muffins’ surface on a pan then finish off with another 5 minutes in the oven.
- The muffins are ready to serve.
If it’s made according to the directions and following the measurements of each ingredient, you don’t really need to worry about how many calories & carbs in English muffin. Well, this delicious food can still be considered pretty low in calories. However, in case you need to know, an English muffin based on this recipe has 188 calories and 29.4 grams of carbohydrates. The muffin also contains 4.9 grams of protein and 5.4 grams of fat; all of these coming from the shortening and eggs. It is low on saturated fat, though.
Other than knowing how many calories in English muffin, some of this nutritional information might be useful for those concerned with their health. Apart from knowing how many calories & carbs in English muffin, making your own muffin is guaranteed to be healthier.