Marie Callender pie crust recipe belongs to Perkins & Marie Callender’s, LLC (PMCI). It is a chain of restaurants spread all across 50 locations in Mexico and the United States. The company is headquartered in Mission Viejo, Orange County, California under the name Marie Callender’s Corporate Support Centre. The restaurant mostly serves American cuisine, but some other foods also resemble Mexican, Italian, Cajun, French, or Chinese cuisine.
The pie is the restaurant’s signature food which is available over 30 varieties. The pies can be bought by the slice or whole. Other than pies, the restaurant also serves sandwiches and soups which are available as à la carter or meals. There are 59 restaurants across the United States as of January 2017; 52 restaurants in California, 4 restaurants in Nevada, 2 restaurants in Utah, and 1 restaurant in Idaho. No need to go to the restaurant if you want to taste its signature pie, because now you can make it directly from your own kitchen. Here are the steps for Marie Callender pie crust recipe.
- 2¼ cups of flour, all-purpose one
- 2 sticks or 1 cup of chilled and unsalted butter, cut into pieces (¼-inch)
- 8-10 tablespoons of ice water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- In a food processor, pulse flour, butter, and salt until the mixture become sand-like with some remaining small lumps (no bigger than the size of a pea) of butter.
- Add 1 tablespoon ice water each time through the food processor’s feed tube; pulse for about 4-5 times per each addition.
- Stop immediately after large clumps are formed within the mixture and take the bowl of the food processor away.
- In a work surface, dump the mixture and use your hands to push it to a big lump.
- Form the dough quickly to two balls and flatten it to 4-inch disks.
- Place each of the disks in a plastic wrap or a plastic baggie, and put it in the refrigerator for approximately 1 hour to 4 days at most.
- Once finished, take the dough away from the refrigerator and wait for approximately 3-4 minutes to soften the dough which makes it easier for the dough to roll.
- Flour the rolling pin and work surface lightly.
- Roll the disk of the dough starting from the center then move outward, turn it quarterly and repeat until the crust’s whole diameter becomes approximately 4 inches larger than the pan.
- Pinch the crust’s edges together if it starts to split.
- Move the pie crust to the pan carefully and continue making the pie recipe as requested.
- Once finished, the pie crust is ready to be eaten.
You can make 2 pie crusts in a single take with those ingredients. After making Marie Callender pie crust recipe all by yourself, it is guaranteed that you no longer want to buy pre-made pie crusts ever again. It is extremely easy to make and the result pie crust tastes delicious.
What’s more, the disk of the dough which is wrapped in a plastic wrap or a plastic baggie can be stored up to 3 months in the freezer. Make sure to take it outside from the freezer 1-2 days before flatten it out. If you follow the steps correctly, then you too can master the fool-proof flaky butter Marie Callender pie crust recipe.
Credit image: fivehearthome.com