This Zatarain’s dirty rice recipe will definitely amp up the already flavorful dish into a whole next level. Although this dish is already a show stopper when served in its original form, there is nothing wrong with adding extra specialness. In this recipe, the packaged mix will be turned into mini frittatas that will please everybody. It is perfect as breakfast or party meal at your house.
- 1 package original dirty rice mix, can use the brown rice one too
- 2½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 pound pork sausage, sliced into little cubes. You can use leaner meat sausage like turkey, beef, or chicken for less fatty frittata
- 14 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup room temperature milk
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup pecans, toasted and chopped for added crunch
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- Cook sausage in a large pan over medium high heat until it is turning golden brown and render its fat. Drain from most of the fat once cooked.
- Pour in water and olive oil then add dirty rice mix. Let it simmer for around twenty five minutes or until rice is soft and the water has been drained.
- Remove rice from the heat and let it sit for about five minutes before fluffing it up. Add raisins and chopped pecans into the rice.
- Brush two 12-cups muffin trays with oil or spray them with cooking spray. Put them aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and milk until they are incorporated well. Add red and green bell peppers into egg and milk mixture.
- Put around ¼ cup of dirty rice mix into each cup of muffin tray.
- Pour egg and milk mixture into each cup. Make sure that they are even in volume.
- Bake inside a preheated oven at 350º (177ºC) for around twenty minutes or until the egg mixture has set.
- Run small knife or baby spatula around the edge of each muffin cup to help mini frittatas out from its cup.
- Let it cool for five minutes before serving.
- This mini frittatas Zatarain’s dirty rice recipe will yield twenty four mini frittatas that can serve up to twelve people.
It takes around an hour to cook this recipe from prepping to serving. By adding few ingredients that people may already have in their kitchens, they can create a twist of comfort food to cater many guests. It is perfect when people are inviting people for dining party or when they are having special celebration. In this Zatarain’s dirty rice recipe, each serving contains 292 calories. It is quiet filling meal, but be careful not to eat too much since it is very tasty.
While eating dirty rice in its basic form is still very pleasant, by modifying this homey New Orleans dish we can get heightened dining experience. Try this mini frittatas Zatarain’s dirty rice recipe and see it for yourself!