Randazzo’s king cake recipe is perhaps the most famous New Orleans style king cake recipe ever known. It features icing with colorful sprinkles that will suit every festive celebration. The taste is as great as how it looks, if not better.
- 635 grams bread flour, substitute with all-purpose flour if it is not available but bread flour works best because of its higher protein content
- 250 ml milk, warmed until it reaches blood temperature
- 1 egg, gently beaten
- 125 ml blood temperature water
- 57 grams (half a stick) room temperature butter or margarines, divided into four parts
- ¼ cup honey
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons rapid-rise or instant yeast
- Small amount of nutmeg, freshly grated if possible
- ½ stick butter, melted gently
- ¼ cup granulated sugar or caster sugar for finer granules
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons cinnamon
- 2¼ icing or confectioner sugar
- 3¾ tablespoons room temperature milk
- 1½ tablespoon room temperature butter
- 1½ tablespoon corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- Colorful sprinkles
- To make the cake, mix bread flour, salt, cinnamon, and grated nutmeg in a bowl. Stir well to give it a head start. Add instant yeast.
- Add butter into warm milk and stir until butter melted. Pour in water, lightly beaten egg, and honey into the mixture.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients in stand-mixer with paddle attachment until it forms dough. Switch paddle attachment with dough hook and knead the dough for around ten minutes on medium speed until it is smooth and malleable.
- Move dough into a large bowl that is lightly coated with oil to prevent it from sticking. Cover dough with plastic wrap or kitchen towel and let it raises for one to two hours at a warm spot until it doubles in volume.
- Once dough has doubled in size, roll and shape it on floured surface until it forms rough rectangle around 10 x 12 inches.
- Brush dough with melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture but leave the outer sides clear from filling. Make sure that filling sticks into the dough by patting it down.
- Roll the dough to form a log, flatten it, and then divide flattened dough into three stripes with pizza cutter.
- Braid the three stripes and pinch both ends so it forms an oval. Move it onto a baking tray that has been lined with silicon or baking paper. Let the dough raise for another one or two hours.
- Bake bread inside preheated oven at 400ºF (200ºC) for eighteen to twenty minutes. Let it cool completely.
- Heat butter, milk, corn syrup until warm. Take of the heat then add icing sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix until reaching pourable consistency.
- Pour icing on top of cooled bread then scatter colorful sprinkles before icing set.
- This Randazzo’s king cake recipe yields twelve servings.
King cake is traditionally served during holidays, such as Easter and Christmas. During those holidays, people are lining up outside the bakery to get a taste of Randazzo’s king cake recipe. It is soft, sweet, and flavorful. Not to mention its presentation is adorable as well.
Even if you do not live around the bakery, you can still get to taste this amazing bread in your own home. Amp up any celebration with this Randazzo’s king cake recipe!