In this article, you will know more about the perfect Popeyes Red Beans and Rice Recipe. One of the biggest selling and favorite food in Popeyes is not only their chicken and fries, but also their beans and rice. The distinctive Cajun spice is Popeyes greatest value. The spice has a beautiful blend of Louisiana’s herbs and Cajun flavor in each bite.
Either beans and rice or rice and beans, this dish is one of the Southern US’s staple foods. Well, Popeyes Red Beans and Rice Recipe are super easy to make, and it is very filling.
- 3 cans of Red Beans (14- to 16- ounce)
- 1 smoked ham hock (½ to ¾ pound)/ ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon shallot (fried, dried and grounded)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoon lards
- 2 cups of long-grain rice/ jasmine rice
- Cook the rice.
- Drain 2 cans of Red Beans and set it aside.
- Add the lard in a medium heat saucepan until it liquefies.
- Pour the garlic powder, onion powder and ground pepper. Stir it before adding the red pepper powder.
- Mix it with the drained Red Beans.
- Add 1 ¼ cups of water into the saucepan.
- Pour 1 can of Red Beans.
- While simmering, add the ham hocks into the saucepan.
- Let it simmer for 6-10 minutes until the ham hocks’ meat loosen from the bone and the beans break down into creamy texture stew.
- Prepare the rice.
- Pour the red beans stew on top of the rice. Garnish it with the fried shallot.
The original red beans and rice served at Popeyes doesn’t have any meat on them. So, it is perfectly safe for vegetarians. To add more richness in the flavor, you may prefer making the dish with ham hocks; smoked ham hocks to be exact. If you do not wish this, then liquid smoke is your option. The smoked ham hocks are used to add a layer of smokiness in the dish.
You can find lard in the groceries store near you. A great replacement for the lard is bacon grease. If you want the food to be vegetarians friendly, then change the lard into palm oil. Another tip in making Popeyes Red Beans and Rice Recipe is to drain the red beans. Just drain 2 cans of Red Beans to remove the starch. A can of Red Beans can make the Red Bean Stew heartier and creamier. While it gets creamier, the ham hock flavor will get a bit dissipate.
Please note that the original recipe from Popeyes is meat free, but it doesn’t mean that it is vegan safe. You better choose to add smoked ham hocks because it has more strong and fragrant taste. The shallot can be used as a garnish or you can mix it into the saucepan. Just enjoy Popeyes Red Beans and Rice Recipe with a side of fried chicken of your choice.