Have you ever heard about Patti Labelle Sweet Potato Pie Recipe Soul Food? This pastry has been sold in several retail stores. But, ever since people acknowledge its taste, this food gained the popularity and often sold out.
So, as not to run out, it is better to learn how to make Patti Labelle Sweet Potato Pie Recipe Soul Food by ourselves. The recipe will be divided into two: the crust and filling. Now, let’s get down with it.
For the Crust
- 1½ cups of slightly filtered, all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of refrigerated vegetable shortening (pick the one with the butter flavor)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of ice water
For the Filling
- 3 large (around 2¾ pounds) peeled out, sweet potatoes
- 7 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- ¼ cup of half-and-half
- ½ cup of light brown sugar
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg, slightly grated
- Salt for seasoning
For the Crust
- Mix both salt and flour to the bowl then add some shortening into the mixture. Slowly mix it until it looked like breadcrumbs
- While stirring, gradually add some water until the mixture turn into big dough.
- Put the dough into the container and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour. Or, you can let it rest until the next 2-3 days to let the dough grow.
- Prepare some flat-surfaced area for the dough. Add some flour onto it to avoid stickiness.
- Put the dough onto the flat surface and roll it out into a 13-inch round shape, then fold in half.
- Put the folded dough to the pie plate while slowly unfold it to regain space. Cut the dough that sticks out of the edges for around 1-inch, and then fold it under the sides.
- Wrap it up with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 1 hour while you work on the filling.
For the Filling
- Boil a pot of water in a high heat then add a pinch of salt.
- Put the sweet potatoes into the pot while slowly reduce the heat to medium. Cook the potatoes until it becomes soft and mushy (approximately 30-45 minutes).
- Drain the potatoes and run it under cold water.
- Put the potatoes into a bowl and mix it until it become a smooth mixture, then take 3 scoops for the filling and refrigerate the rest.
- Heat the oven beforehand to 400 degrees.
- Take the refrigerated pie shell and coat the base of it with melted butter. Add some brown sugar to follow Patti Labelle’s signature. Bake it for about 15 minutes and then let it rest.
- For the filling, continuously add brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, melted butter, a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, and finally the half-and-half to the mixture. Mix it until it blended evenly.
- Last, pour the filling into the baked pie shell. Put it in the preheated oven and lower the temperature to 350 degrees. Bake it for about 1 to 1½ hours.
- When your Patti Labelle Sweet Potato Pie Recipe Soul Food is done, take it out of the pan and let it rest to the room temperature.
That is it! Patti Labelle Sweet Potato Pie Recipe Soul Food is ready to be enjoyed together with your family and friends!