The old fashioned caramel cake recipe is famous for its everlasting taste and has been included on people’s favorite traditional cakes lists. From the elderly to the youths and the adults, or even children, the cake’s sweet but not too sweet taste is perfect for any occasion. For a family gathering to a simple breakfast for the whole family, this cake will always be everyone’s favorite. This article here provides the cake’s full recipe only for you.
Main Ingredients for Old Fashioned Caramel Cake Recipe
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of softened butter
- 3 cups of flour for all purpose
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- ½ cup of warm water
- 1 teaspoon of soda used for baking
- 1 teaspoon of extract vanilla
Ingredients for Cake’s Frosting:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Cooking Instructions for the Cake:
- Using an electric mixer, beat 1 cup of butter until it becomes creamy at medium speed.
- Add 2 cups of sugar and gradually beat it well.
- Add 1 egg; beat it well before adding another egg.
- Combine baking soda, flour, and cocoa in a separate bowl. Stir it well.
- Add the well-stirred flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Starts with the flour mixture first, mix it well, then add water and buttermilk.
- One finished, mix it well and pour the rest of the flour mixture.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Sprinkle flour in 9-inch cake pans (round-shaped) and pour the batter to 2 greases.
- Put the number of 350° F to bake the cake in the oven.
- Wait for approximately 35 minutes or until when a wooden toothpick comes out clean after being inserted inside the center of the cake.
- One finished, wait for another 10 minutes to cool down the pans on wire racks.
- After that, remove the cake from the pans and chill it on wire racks completely.
Cooking Instructions for Cake’s Frosting:
- In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup of butter, 2 cups of sugar, and 1 cup of evaporated milk together.
- Boil it over medium heat.
- Put a lid to cover it and wait for approximately 2-3 minutes to make the sugar crystals wash down from the pan’s sides.
- One finished, open the lid and stir it constantly until the candy thermometer shows 234° F or until the mixture becomes soft.
- Add vanilla after removing it from the heat. No need to stir it back.
- Wait for approximately 10 minutes to cool it down.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture for approximately 8-10 minutes at medium speed or until the mixture consistently spreads.
- Spread the frosting between the top, the layers, and the sides of the cake quickly.
- If needed, garnish the cake with grated chocolate or pecan halves.
As stated previously, the cake is perfect for any occasion. In case your whole family would like to eat it at breakfast, serve old fashioned caramel cake recipe along with a big glass of milk for the children or with a cup of coffee for the elderly or the adults. Just make sure you have enough time to make it before the breakfast time as it takes one and a quarter hour to finish baking the cake.
One important thing to note is that you have to spread the frosting immediately if you don’t want it to harden. It will be difficult for you to spread the frosting once it happens. Well, old fashioned caramel cake recipe is easy to master as long as you follow the steps correctly.