Nellie and Joe’s key lime pie recipe is a pie creation made from Nellie and Joe’s Key West Lime Juice. The internationally acknowledged lime juice is famous for its tangy and bright flavor, making it people’s favorite all around the world. As the name suggests, the pie comes from Key West Florida. It is a place where people held the tradition to make many wonderful-tasted foods. The island is located at the southernmost speck in the United States, where nowadays a family-owned business established by Nellie and Joe Fernandez can be found. Not limiting the variety of juices into one flavor only, Nellie and Joe also created other flavors as well.
When the business was first built in 1968, both the founders only sell the juices to their surrounding neighbors by placing the juice inside long-necked beer bottles. As time goes by, the business is expanding and growing well, to the extent that the business requires a new headquarter located in Pompano Beach, Florida. Looking at the business’s historical context, before selling the lime juice, both Nellie and Joe Fernandez are the owners of a bottling company at the southernmost part of the United States. Upon creating the famous juice for the first time, they are now considered as the pioneer or the origin of this lime juice product.
It is not a surprising fact if there are many other creations aside from the pie which are based from the famous juice. This includes Traditional Marinade and Cuban Marinade. The difference would be that the former is made from the famous juice with the blend of spices and herbs, as well as honey for a sour and sweet flavor. Meanwhile, the latter is also made from the famous juice with herbs, sour orange, habanero peppers, and spices for a tantalizing taste. But most importantly, the pie is also as delicious as the marinades as you can make it directly from your kitchen by following Nellie and Joe’s key lime pie recipe below.
- 1 can of 14-ounce condensed milk (sweetened)
- 1 graham cracker pie crust (sized 9-inch)
- ½ cup of Key West Lime Juice from Nellie and Joe
- 3 egg yolks
- Lime slices and meringue or whipped cream (if needed)
- Put the number of 350° F to preheat the oven.
- Combine lime juice, egg yolks, and milk.
- Blend it together until smooth.
- Pour it into the pie crust.
- Bake it for approximately 15 minutes.
- One finished, wait for another 10 minutes to put it inside the refrigerator.
- When the Nellie and Joe’s key lime pie recipe is ready to serve, add meringue or whipped cream along with slices of lime for better taste.
It only takes 45 minutes at most to make the pie. The first 15 minutes are for preparing the ingredients, the next one for making the pie, and the last 15 minutes are for chilling the pie. Fortunately, you can serve up to 8 people in a single take. It surely makes the pie worth the wait. After all, Nellie and Joe’s key lime pie recipe is easy to make if you follow the steps correctly.