Mcalister’s chicken tortilla soup recipe is unquestionably sought after by those who are craving for comfort food. On a cold day, the idea of this warm and filling soup sounds very appetizing. People can come over to its delis that are scattered through various cities in the country. Or if they are really feeling it: make them by their own. It takes no time at all to cook this chicken tortilla soup.
- 3 boneless and skinless chicken breast, cooked and roughly shredded
- 16 ounces tortilla chips for topping
- 1 15-ounces can of creamed corn, if it is not available try cooking fresh corn, whole milk, butter, salt, and pepper over medium low heat until the corn mixture thickens to get creamed corn
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely diced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 10¾-ounces can of condensed chicken soup, if it is not available make your own by whisking chicken broth and milk over gentle heat until the mixture simmers and thickens
- 3 14-ounces can of chicken broth
- 4 cups half and half, replace with whole milk or other milk substitutes if you want leaner soup
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded. Can be replaced with Cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons cumin, grounded
- 2½ tablespoons fajita seasoning, if it is not available mix cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to make your own fajita seasoning
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- ⅛ cup green onion, finely chopped for garnish
- Sear diced garlic and onion with butter or margarine inside a large pot over medium heat. This step takes around five minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for around a minute to get rid of raw flour taste.
- Pour in chicken broth and half-and-half or other milk substitute. Bring soup to boiling point then lower the heat to low.
- Add condensed chicken soup, salsa, creamed corn, shredded chicken, fajita seasoning, cumin, and most of the chopped cilantro.
- Stir the soup and cook for another fifteen minutes.
- To serve, add crumbled tortilla chips and cheese into serving bowl then pour in the soup. Top it with more crumbled tortilla chips, cheese, remaining cilantro, and chopped green onion.
- This Mcalister’s chicken tortilla soup recipe will serve four to six people.
From prepping to serving, it only takes thirty to forty five minutes to recreate this fantastic Mcalister’s chicken tortilla soup recipe. A serving bowl of soup contains approximately 1483.5 calories. It is definitely not a light soup. However, in windy or snowy days, this tortilla soup will bring the utmost comfort. People who want to make the soup lighter can definitely adjust the ingredients, for example replacing half-and-half with low fat milk or taking it easy on the cheese.
There are many other soups out there that are regarded as comfort food. However, to taste the ultimate comfort food, try this Mcalister’s chicken tortilla soup recipe!