Although this Lembas Bread Recipe won’t satiate any appetite with a single bite, it will be a delightful pair for an afternoon tea. For your information, Lembas bread comes from The Lord of The Rings fantasy novel trilogy. It was a great masterpiece written by J. R. R. Tolkien in 1940s. This epic high fantasy novel was the sequel to his 1939 fantasy novel The Hobbit. Over 150 million copies sold worldwide. It has been a staple novel in almost every school and university discussions, in terms of fantasy novel. In the first adaptation of The Lord of The Rings trilogy back in 2001, the film was a huge commercial and critic hit.
Resurfacing from the novel is also the most familiar food from the franchise which is called Lembas Bread. These breads are made by the Elves, also known as waybread in the Common Speech. It has high nutritional values and stays fresh for an extended period. What also makes this food great is that it can make a stomach of a grown adult full in one bite. Frodo and his fellowship used this sustenance on the very long journey towards Mordor. This article will give you a full tutorial on how to recreate this exquisite elvish pastry, The Lembas Bread Recipe.
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (or plain flour)
- 2 tbsp white chia seeds
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 ripe banana
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- A pinch of sea salt
- Non- poisonous leaves (you can use Banana Leaves and Hawaiian Ti leaves)
- Hemp twine
- Mix the chia seeds and water. Set it aside until it forms a gel (approximately 5 minutes).
- Mash the ripe banana.
- Add the mashed banana, organic coconut oil, maple syrup, the chia paste and add a pinch of salt. Put it together in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the paste with flour. Be careful when mixing and do not over mix the dough or your Lembas Bread will be tough to eat.
- Refrigerate the dough for one hour before rolling it.
- Roll the dough into a flat paste quarter inch thickness.
- Cut it into square shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Mark an “X” on the top of dough using blunt kitchen tools. Do not cut all the way.
- Bake at 3500F for 25 minutes.
- Wrap in leaves and use the twine to secure the wrap.
This Lembas Bread Recipe is just a homemade recipe. It is a great one for vegans and it can also be a healthy substitute for your store-bought cookies. You can add more natural ingredients such as dried fruits. However, raisins, chopped strawberries, dates, and ground nuts are the terrific additions for the recipe.
If you prefer a stronger taste, you can also mix it with honey and cinnamon for a sweeter flavor. The leaves and hemp twine are optional but who doesn’t love eating like a Hobbit or an elf? Well, just turn on the oven and create your own Lembas Bread Recipe.