Since this Mexican restaurant no longer operates in the country, many people crave for its dishes, including Chi Chi’s corn cake recipe. It is one particular dish that stands out. It is notably creamier and softer than regular corn bread. People are no longer to get this corn cake at the restaurant, and boxed corn cake just does not taste similar. But with this recipe, you can get the exact same taste just as the original.
- ⅓ cup Mexican corn flour or also known as masa harina
- 1½ frozen corn, make sure that it is fully thawed
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup butter, softened to room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons room temperature heavy cream
- ¼ cup water
- Beat room temperature butter in a medium-sized bowl with electric hand mixer.
- After the butter gets creamy, add water and Mexican corn flour then mix until they are thoroughly incorporated into butter. It can be done by hand and whisk but it will take longer time.
- Put thawed corn inside a blender or food processor and chop it roughly on low speed. Be careful not to overdo it, pieces of corn should still be seen throughout the blend.
- Add chopped corn and cornmeal into butter mixture. Stir it until they are completely incorporated.
- Mix sugar, salt, baking powder, and heavy cream in a smaller bowl until fully combined.
- Put sugar mixture into corn and butter mixture and stir well.
- Prepare 13×9-sized glass baking tray and fill it with hot water until reaching ⅓ of the way up.
- Prepare 8×8-sized ungreased baking tray. Pour corn cake mixture into baking tray and cover it with aluminum foil to prevent coloring on the top.
- Place smaller baking tray with corn cake mixture in the glass baking tray.
- Place them inside preheated oven at 350ºF (180ºC). Bake it for fifty to sixty minutes or until cooked through. Check by fifty minutes mark by inserting a toothpick or skewer into the dough, if it comes out clean then corn cake is cooked.
- Take out the trays from oven. Remove the 8×8-sized tray from hot water bath and let it sit on room temperature for ten minutes.
- Serve warm by scooping corn cake right out of the tray. This Chi Chi’s corn cake recipe can serve up to six people.
This Chi Chi’s corn cake recipe is suitable for every occasion. People can bake it as snack if they want to and this corn cake will light up their days. On social and more formal occasion like dinner party, this corn cake will serve as wonderful side dish. Adding salsa, sliced avocado, or sour cream will definitely elevates its flavor. People can serve it with hearty Mexican soup or other type of stews.
There are many premix corn cake products available on the market. However, try this Chi Chi’s corn cake recipe for once. Just be aware that there is no going back after you do it!