This time, let’s try to make Chamorro red rice recipe. Chamorro is a name of Guam Island’s locals. They are known with their distinctive tradition and cultures. One of the cultures that are still often celebrated is Chamorro Fiesta. Inside Chamorro Fiesta, there are a lot of Guam Island’s finest traditional foods and beverages. All local people know that Chamorro fiesta will never be the same without the luscious Chamorro red rice dishes. They are perfect for your chosen side dishes or eaten just like that. It usually consumed with barbecues or any other grills.
Chamorro red rice recipe is considered in the middle level. Some of the ingredients are quite hard to find. Moreover, the way to cook it is also neither easy nor difficult. It depends on your will to try.
- 10 cups of rice, washed clean
- 6 teaspoons of Achote powder
- 3 tablespoons of bacon fat (you can also use vegetable oil)
- 1 tablespoon of garlic, chopped
- 8 stalks of green onion, sliced into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons of Dashida seasoning
- 11 ½ cups of hot water
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Put the rice into rice cooker pot.
- Put Achote powder, Dashida, bacon fat (or vegetable oil), and garlic into rice cooker pot. Add salt and black pepper for seasoning.
- Add green onion to the rice cooker pot.
- Slowly pour hot water onto the rice cooker pot while stirring. Continue until all the ingredients are mixed
- Set the rice cooker to “cook”, stir persistently.
- Leave it for 5 minutes then stir it again. Repeat the process 1-2 times.
- After you finished stirring, let it cook perfectly.
- That’s it! Chamorro red rice is ready to serve along with your favorable side dishes.
Well, that’s how to make Chamorro red rice recipe. If by any chance you cannot find a rice cooker pot, don’t worry. You can still make Chamorro red rice on a stove. The differences are, when you finished stirring; close the pot where you place the rice. Then, set the fire to medium heat, while still paying attention to it if the rice is cooked. It’s a little bit complicated, but the result would be awesome. Some of the ingredients (such as Dashida or Achote powder) will be hard to find in your usual store. They only exist in several Asian food stores, or maybe in traditional food store in your area. If you insist, just buy it online.
For Achote, if you have the real Achote seed, you can soak it in warm water and strip the coating by hand. The water will instantly turn reddish, and you can use it as the hot water alternative. Use about ¼ cup of Achote seeds in 3 ½ cups of warm water. The taste is stronger compared to when you use Achote powder. With this recipe, you can serve the dish in a party or family gathering. Show them how Chamorro people celebrate their tradition in Fiesta with Chamorro red rice recipe.